Re: i-search related

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: i-search related
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 03:55:19 +0200

Dhruva Krishnamurthy <address@hidden> writes:
> Hello,
>  I am using emacs from CVS on XP compiled using MSVC 6.0.
> - I invoke isearch "C-s".
> - I type some string and it gets into mini-buffer (the focus is in
> minibuffer) and things work fine
> - I copy some string to clipboard
> - Invoke isearch "C-s"
> - I then try to paste the copied string, I would expect it to get
> copied into mini-buffer (at isearch prompt). Instead, the string gets
> copied at the cursor location in the buffer.
>
> Is this behavior intentional or a bug?

M-y is what you need.  It adds the last killed text into the search string.

C-y (which normally inserts the killed text) in isearch mode adds the
rest of the line into the search string.

I suspect that you use some other keybinding to paste the copied text
like <S-insert>.  I think it's better not to rebind it in isearch mode
to paste the text into the search string, because this key is more
useful to finish isearch mode and insert the copied text to the place
where the search was stopped.  This way not rebinding <S-insert> and
<S-delete> in isearch mode makes it possible to use them to perform the
same operations as rebound in isearch mode C-w and C-y normally do.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/