Re: cc-mode adds newlines

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: cc-mode adds newlines
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2004 09:13:33 +0900

> That is a serious bug. It must ask by default.

You're being extremely silly.  It's absolutely not a "serious bug",
and arguably it's not a bug at all.

I expect most people would rather like being able to independently
specify this feature for different modes -- while it's annoying for
_all_ files to have a newline added (especially when editing e.g.,
binary files!), I think it's perfectly reasonable for _C_ files to
have a final newline added by default.

At most, I think think it's a documentation bug: it would be nice if
you could know what's going on by looking at the documentation for
`require-final-newline'.  This suggests that maybe this feature really
should be provided more centrally -- for instance what if
`require-final-newline' could be an alist, allowing one to specify
values for different modes, as well as a default, in a manner similar
ot the way `c-require-final-newline' works now.

-Miles