Re: cc-mode adds newlines

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: cc-mode adds newlines
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2004 13:08:50 +0100

   > Feel free to change the setting in your .emacs.

   That is the typical defensive developer reaction that makes sure
   bugs stay for a long time.

I suppose that it didn't occur to you that this might not be a bug?
But something that Miles, and the rest of the world, actually thinks
is a good idea.  I for one consider it a good thing, and consider
files that do not have a final newline broken.

   The next-line command is a cursor movement command, but it used to
   add lines to the file if you went past end-of-file.  A bad bug, but
   for years people said that individual users could fix it in their
   individual .emacs files.

How was this a bug? It was intended to work that way.  I actually get
mad when C-n doesn't add new lines and must always fiddle the silly
next-line-add-newline variable (I always manage to forget to set it in
my .emacs)

Just because you dislike something, doesn't mean that it is a bug.
You have your .emacs to twidle the things you dislike.  Which is what
I think Miles was trying to point out.

Cheers!