Re: [Emacs-trunk-diffs] Changes to emacs/lisp/faces.el

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: [Emacs-trunk-diffs] Changes to emacs/lisp/faces.el
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2004 10:18:41 +0100

>     + (or standard-display-table
>     +     ;; avoid using autoloaded make-display-table here
>     +     (setq standard-display-table (make-char-table 'display-table nil)))
>     +
>     + (let* ((face (lsh (face-id 'escape-glyph) 19))
>     +        (backslash (+ face ?\\))
>     +        (dot (+ face ?.)))
>     +   (set-char-table-extra-slot standard-display-table 2 backslash)
>     +   (aset standard-display-table 2208 (vector backslash ?\s))
>     +   (aset standard-display-table 2221 (vector backslash ?-))
>     +   (set-char-table-extra-slot standard-display-table 3 (+ face ?^))
>     +   (set-char-table-extra-slot standard-display-table 4 (vector dot dot
> dot)))
>
> This code, like Pfeiffer's change, has the effect of
> setting up a non-nil display table in Emacs at build time.

True, but with my change, it doesn't use fixed values which
may only be correct for some installations.

> A change like that ought to be discussed.
>
> Why do we want that?  Why not go back to the old code
> so that a display tabel was set up only if we WANT one?

IIRC, you said this was a good idea, so I thought Daniel
had installed it on approval from you -- I just fixed the
technical problems with it.

I have no opinion on whether this should be enabled by default or not.

If it should be off by default, we should move all of it (including
the defface) to disp-table.el and create a simple autoloaded
defcustom to enable it.