Re: [Emacs-trunk-diffs] Changes to emacs/lisp/faces.el

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: [Emacs-trunk-diffs] Changes to emacs/lisp/faces.el
Date: Sun, 05 Dec 2004 19:52:09 +0200

>     IIRC, you said this was a good idea, so I thought Daniel
>     had installed it on approval from you -- I just fixed the
>     technical problems with it.
>
> I don't recall saying I liked the idea of defining a display table by
> default, and I can't see any such message that I sent him in the past
> few months.  Can you find what I actually said about this?
>
> What is the goal of this feature?

This is a very useful feature which makes visually more noticeable
all potentially dangerous control characters or other special glyphs
which doesn't correspond to a character.

Without such feature, to check whether a glyph displays a real
characters or not, one needs to undertake special actions like
e.g. to put the cursor to the position in question, then move
the point to the right, and see if it moves to one position or more
(that's what I usually do).

What I don't in this feature is the color of its glyph face.
It is too bright, and so too distracting.

And there is also a bug with new feature: C-u C-x = typed on
no-break spaces or soft hyphens causes `describe-char' to fail
with "Invalid character: 054000134, 11534428, 0xb0005c" error
on (format "?%c" 11534428) function call.

Otherwise, this is a good feature.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/