Re: Merry Xmas and a... OMG, what did you just say?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Merry Xmas and a... OMG, what did you just say?
Date: Sat, 01 Jan 2005 18:07:11 +0100

"Johann 'Myrkraverk' Oskarsson" <address@hidden> writes:

> What do you mean?  Do not assume US laws apply to the rest of the
> world!  In Iceland, I don't think any company or organization can
> suppress a contribution and I have the court rulings to back it up.

Nonsense.  You can't contribute what is not rightfully your own, and
that's one of the things that the oh so obnoxious papers try to
prevent.

> Individual contributors will simply have to guarantee the legality
> of their contributions.  Is that concept so hard to understand?

Without anything in writing?  Without any pointers of what to watch
for?  What form does such a "guarantee" take?

>> Or are you planning to be so irrelevant and obscure that no one
>> takes someone else to court?
>
> Some of us live in countries where stupid law suits don't happen.

Nonsense.  The law has border cases in _all_ countries, and it is
impossible to write laws which lead to satisfactory outcomes for all
possible cases.  That's exactly why there are lawyers and judges in
every country.

> What software patents?  There is no such thing in europe (yet) and I
> honestly don't think there ever will be (for long anyway).

AFAIK the European patent office has already issued quite a number of
software patents.  Only when a directive sufficiently different from
the current draft (that hopefully does not get through) will pass
legislation, will the already granted patents be rendered invalid.  At
least that's what I understand.