Re: Getting more info on a variable in Customize buffers

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Getting more info on a variable in Customize buffers
Date: Sun, 02 Jan 2005 19:58:57 -0500

    1) If I click Customize in the *Help* buffer from `C-h v', I arrive at a
    Customize buffer for only that variable, where there is no link to the
    custom group of the variable, so I can't see how it might be related to
    other variables in the group. It might be that what I really need is a
    similarly named variable, but I can't browse the group to find it. In fact,
    I can't even see what custom group the variable belongs to (no group name is
    indicated).

It would be useful for these buffers to include a link to move to
the whole group.  One complication is that the variable can belong
to more than one group.  I am sure that complication can be overcome.

I don't want to implement this, but if someone else does, it can
be installed.

    2a) The variable name does not appear as such. Instead, the name is
    prettified using title-case and replacing dashes with spaces. A variable
    with a mixed-case name like `Info-enable-edit' is indistiguishable in this
    format from one that is all lowercase.

I have always been uncertain whether this prettifying of names is
a good thing.  I am still not sure.