Re: Ignoring file local-variables in patches?

From: Simon Josefsson
Subject: Re: Ignoring file local-variables in patches?
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2005 03:03:57 +0100

Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:

> Heh, good point...
>
> I often am annoyed by a similar (but more minor, and probably easier
> to fix) problem:  I have `copyright-update' on a save-file hook
> somewhere, and it often gets confused by patches, asking if I want to
> update the copyright in a patch that updates the copyright!

That reminds me: copyright-update try to update the first copyright
message in a file, but it is frequently the last one the is the
current one.  For example:

Copyright 1995  Foo Bar
Copyright 1996, 1999, 2003  Simon Josefsson

When I save a file that contain the above, copyright-update try to add
2005 to the first copyright line.

In some projects, I have solved this by moving my copyright line
first, as in:

Copyright 1996, 1999, 2003  Simon Josefsson
Copyright 1995  Foo Bar

but this is slightly disrespectful, I think.

Proposed solution: Have copyright-update search the next 10 lines
after the first found copyright line, to see if it can find more
current copyright headers to update.

What do people think?  Is this a poor idea for some reason?