Re: Bug 130397

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: Bug 130397
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2005 09:44:28 +0900 (JST)

In article <address@hidden>, Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>>>  But ispell.el should be able to automatically check whether the chars can
>>> be
>>>  safely encoded with the coding-system and if not (as in your example),
>>>  ispell.el will know that the word can't be checked by ispell and should
>>>  just be skipped (and maybe marked as "uncheckable").

>>  That seems to be a good approach.  But, just checking
>>  whether the chars is encodable with the coding-system is not
>>  enough.  For instance, entry for "francais" dict doesn't
>>  contain "ñ" in CASECHARS, but "español" is safely encodable
>>  by iso-8859-1.  So, the same error happens.  For ispell.el
>>  to know that "español" is uncheckable, we anyway need the
>>  current database ispell-dictionary-alist.

> Aaaahhhh.... I'm beginning to understand, thank you.
> But I still think ispell.el should not try to check "espa" and "ol".
> So I now agree that the CASECHARS table is needed, but it should be used
> after encoding the word (rather than when determining what is a word), and
> if some char is not in CASECHARS the word should be flagged as uncheckable.

Although I have not yet understood the detail, "if some char
is not in CASECHARS" is not enough.  First of all, CASECHARS
is a regular expression.  And NOT-CASECHARS, OTHERCHARS,
MANU-OTHERCHARS-P should also be checked somehow.  If that
is the way we are going to take, I'd like to ask maintainers
of ispell.el to do such a change.

---
Ken'ichi HANDA
address@hidden