Re: M-<function-key> vs. ESC <function-key>

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: M-<function-key> vs. ESC <function-key>
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2005 23:54:54 -0500

    Yes, I do, because that's what Emacs is receiving when I press Meta-left,
    for example.  More specifically, when I type Meta-left at Emacs running in
    xterm it receives the key sequence [?\e ?\e ?O ?D], which gets translated
    to [?\e left] through function-key-map.

That is a surprise to me.  Someone must have changed this in recent
years.