Re: Patch for Mac OS X Text Drawing

From: Piet van Oostrum
Subject: Re: Patch for Mac OS X Text Drawing
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 16:40:24 +0100

ST> I've checked in a change that allows for anti-aliasing, but makes it
ST> optional (personally I only use it for large fonts).  I added the variable:

ST> mac-allow-anti-aliasing

ST> This is defaulted to nil, meaning don't use core graphics to render text.
ST> When set to non-nil, (setq mac-use-core-graphics t), it will enable the
Of course here you mean mac-allow-anti-alias
ST> core graphics rendering flag and will anti-alias text if that is enabled on
ST> your computer for the font you are trying to display.  I'm not a big fan of
ST> the name, because there is some basic anti-aliasing done in the operating
ST> system: but calling it mac-enable-core-graphics was too technical.

It took a few hours for me to get used to it, but now I am starting to like
it.

I had hoped that this would solve the MacOSX bug where if you have some
italic text in a window which later is overwritten with spaces (like
happens in gnus summaries for me), small parts of the righthand side of
characters (those that stick out of the rectangular box) are not properly
erased. Also some characters are cutoff at the right. See the screen dump

PNG image

--
Piet van Oostrum <address@hidden>
Private email: address@hidden