Re: Parital scrolling of image

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Parital scrolling of image
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2005 17:55:28 +0100

address@hidden (Kim F. Storm) writes:

>> A brief message to let you know that I've started to look into
>> the problem of scrolling through images that are higher/wider
>> than the current window.
>>
>> I've already have a working solution for tall images.
>
> I have installed my changes.  They modify line-move and
> scroll-up, scroll-down.
>
> If you have problems with this, set auto-window-vscroll to nil.

Cough, cough.  If I have a window with the upper half taken up by an
image, and point is in some normal text below the image, then pressing
C-n will _not_ move to the next line (which is perfectly on screen and
quite far from the edge), but instead the window will get vscrolled a
line.  This process repeats a few time: just vscrolling happens, but
point does not change the buffer position.  At some point of time
which does not appear overly related to how much of the image has
already scrolled off-screen, the image jumps back fully into sight,
and at the same time point moves one line down, finally.  If you keep
using C-n, again the very same image will vscroll off the screen for
several keypresses (while point does not change), then jump back to
fully visible at which time point finally moves one line down.

This isn't it yet.  As long as point can move down a line without
causing scrolling, it should do so.  Only when scrolling would occur
on movement should vscrolling be considered as an alternative to
actually moving point.