Re: Eliminating "changed in Emacs outside of Customize"

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: Eliminating "changed in Emacs outside of Customize"
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 16:08:23 -0600 (CST)

Drew Adams wrote:

   The question is about the _UI_ only. Does it help users or get in their way
   to have such a distinction in the UI?

Very definitely.  I like to get accurate information, not false and
misleading information.

"Set for the current session" means that the option is only set for
the current session.  It will not be set anymore if you start another
session.  If I see it were I do not expect it, I know that I
inadvertently released my mouse at the wrong place or entered the
wrong number if I used the keyboard.  (I actually have had that happen
several times.)  That problem needs to be corrected and it is trivial
to do so.

"Changed outside Custom" means something very different.  It means
that it was changed outside Custom.  Maybe it was just set for the
current session and will not be there anymore if I start another
session, maybe it will be set every session.  There is no way for
Custom to figure it out.  The conclusion to be drawn out of that is
that trying to save a value through Custom may not work properly.

   I argue that it is clearer for users without such a distinction.

Not for this user, that is for sure.  I rely heavily on the distinction.
I can not see what is "clear" about identifying to things that have
not the slightest thing to do with each other.

This is not broken.  Let us not break it.

Sincerely,

Luc.