Re: find-file-hook as illustration of Custom problems

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: find-file-hook as illustration of Custom problems
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2005 20:07:20 -0600 (CST)

>From my previous message:

    So it looks like we should also give the user veto power over code
    and implement `remove-hook' and `delete' functionality through
    Custom, adding to the complexity.

But it is difficult to see how this could work reliably.  The
`remove-hook' or `delete' functionality is only going to work if the
code adds the stuff _before_ the user's custom-set-variables form is
executed.  Code that runs later will override the user's veto and add
the stuff back anyway.  We would have to do something like keep track
of all Lisp files that add code to defcustoms (and what code to which
defcustom) and put the remove-hook or delete in an `eval-after-load'
call.  That does not seem very attractive.

Problems related to Custom tend to grow more and more complex the
longer you keep thinking about them.

Sincerely,

Luc.