Re: search-whitespace-regexp

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: search-whitespace-regexp
Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2005 11:21:27 -0500

> In that case, I propose just changing string search, using a variable
> search-whitespace, analogous to search-whitespace-regexp. This should
> default to nil, so that the default behavior of string search is identical
> to Emacs 21.3 and below. If the user customizes the value, he gets the
> "magical space" behavior.

Wait.  That doesn't make any sense.  I haven't seen *anyone* ask for plain
search to treat spaces as "just one SPC char".  AFAICT everybody is happy
with the behavior where a space in the search text is interpreted as "any
sequence of blank chars".

The only discussion here is about removing the "magic space" from
regexp-searches, not from plain searches.  Or did I miss something?

        Stefan