Re: Customize buttons that change user'scustomfileshouldaskforconfirmati

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Customize buttons that change user'scustomfileshouldaskforconfirmation
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2005 21:26:42 +0100

----- Original Message -----
From: "Drew Adams" <address@hidden>

> If we do split Erase Customization in two: a) "Get All" > "Standard" plus
b)
> "Save All", then there is the question of how "Save All" should act wrt
> values in the buffer that happen to be the same as the standard values.
>
> Two possibilities:
>
> 1. Save is smart wrt `standard', recognizes equality between standard
values
> and values to be "saved", and reworks the user's custom file much as Erase
> Customization does today.
>
> 2. Save is dumb, and always saves the values (edit fields) in the buffer
> the user's custom file.
>
> It is the difference between a pointer and a copy:

I think the possibility in some way to Erase C should be kept. I said before
that I think 1 is a bit obscure, but maybe I was wrong there. If instead of
comparing the values a flag to tell that the standard value was fetched it
can be ok I guess.

Then there is the question whether the user should be asked when saving
whether to erase the entries in custom-file or not. I believe he/she should
be asked, but with only one question for multiple options. I believe this
will be more clear for the user without too much burden.