Should Emacs Setup Utilities for MS Windows be in Emacs CVS?

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Should Emacs Setup Utilities for MS Windows be in Emacs CVS?
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2005 21:37:14 +0100

I believe that Emacs Setup Utilities for MS Windows now is nearly finished.
There should of course be CVS for it and I wonder if it should go into Emacs
CVS or somewhere else. What are your opinions about this?

My personal opinion is of course that it should be there before next
release.

There are perhaps some things in it that you have opinions about. This is
perhaps the time to bring them up?

There is one important thing that is not finished yet. The port of
emacsclient/server to w32 is not finished. Instead of this gnuclient/server
is now in the package.

This is an enhanced gnuclient/server which (as I have previously explained)
automatically starts Emacs if needed. gnuserv-start is called in the
background, the user does not have to care. (This feature can be avoided of
course.) This way of starting the server/client I believe is an important
part for MS Windows where Emacs probably will often be used as a server by
at least novice users. (I myself most often starts Emacs from the command
line this way - though that is me.)

Guy is working on the emacsclient/server port to w32, but I do not know the
state of it at the moment.