Re: Customize buttons that change user'scustomfileshouldaskforconfirmati

From: Robert J. Chassell
Subject: Re: Customize buttons that change user'scustomfileshouldaskforconfirmation
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 14:42:59 +0000 (UTC)

    ... the current value is updated to the same value that is written
    to your custom file. That is not the same thing as evaluating your
    entire .emacs file, however.

I am refering to `All'.  Clearly, individual settings should not
involve evaluating your entire .emacs file.

    How can you save Customize settings without also setting their
    current values (today)? And, again, changing a value in your init
    file is not what is meant currently by "set"; "set" refers to
    setting the current values.

Just by saving them:  for example, just now I changed my bold face
from

     '(bold ((t (:background "DodgerBlue4" :foreground "PaleGreen"))))
     '(bold ((t (:background "DodgerBlue4" :foreground "Red"))))

and saved it.  No, I did not set it.  (The red foreground would look
ghastly if I did.  I am going to change the face back before I restart
this Emacs.)  So the new setting is saved but not set.

I am not sure whether the user interface for automatically writing
custom-set-faces expressions permits you to save without setting
immediately; but that is a different matter.  It is straight forward
to save any customization without setting it just then.

However, unlike Emacs Lisp expressions saved in regular libraries,
Emacs Lisp expressions used for customization are saved in your .emacs
file.  That file is automatically loaded each time you start a new
instance of Emacs.  So customized saving implies (eventual)
evaluation.

If we do not offer a `Save for the future, but not for this session'
option for the automatic writing user interface, it might reduce
potential confusion just a little to say `Set and Save All' and
besides saving, set for current use as well as after the next start.

--
    Robert J. Chassell
    address@hidden                         GnuPG Key ID: 004B4AC8