Re: Customize buttons that change user's customfileshouldaskforconfirmat

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Customize buttons that change user's customfileshouldaskforconfirmation
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2005 10:14:23 +0100

----- Original Message -----
From: "Richard Stallman" <address@hidden>

>     Being able to load such values and edit them before saving them
>     is very useful.
>
>     I prefer "S => F" with a message in the echo area telling the
>     user to use "Set All" to apply the values.
>
> If users often want to examine these values before putting them into
> effect, then the split-up could be useful.  But if users nearly always
> want to Set these values, it would be just a nuisance to have to do so
> with a separate operation.
>
> Can we get any guidance on this question from other applications?

I do not know of any application that distinguishes between Set and Save.
However all operations in "options dialouges" in MS Windows either operates
on the fields or Set+Saves all the field values in the dialouge. The
operations on the field could be "reset" (to value upon entry of the
dialouge, very common), browse for values (dir, files, fairly common),
choosing from a list (fairly common).

This suggests to me that the most intuitive operation would be "S => F".