Re: M-Tab on w32 (and other window systems?)

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: M-Tab on w32 (and other window systems?)
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 10:15:59 +0900

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 00:56:12 +0100, Lennart Borgman
<address@hidden> wrote:
> "The traditional GNU Emacs key combination for completion in a buffer
> is `M-<TAB>'. However, many window systems and window managers use this
> key combination themselves (typically for switching between windows)
> and do not pass it to applications.

Note that this can also be typed using `ESC TAB', which is pretty
convenient (the ESC and TAB keys are almost next to one another).

Maybe people with typical modern keyboards with the ESC key off in an
obscure location might like some other combination better -- but such
keyboards usually _also_ have the control key in some bizarro obscure
location too, so I'm not sure that C-RET is much better...

[BTW who's fault is that anyway?  I seem to recall it was some ISO
keyboard standard in the '80s that started all this keyboard-from-hell
crap...]

-Miles
--
Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.