follow-link in grep buffer

From: Nick Roberts
Subject: follow-link in grep buffer
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 10:08:59 +1300

I realise that applications like web browsers use mouse-1 to follow links, so
it is a good idea for Emacs to provide some consistency and it works well with
Info pages. However, I am not sure if it is always appropriate as Emacs users
understand that mouse-1 just generally moves the cursor, while mouse-2 might
jump to another buffer. The grep buffer is an example. If I try to place the
cursor anywhere on a line before the end of a match, the associated file
pops up in another buffer. However I might just want to select that window
to resize it. I could select the window by clicking on the modeline but if I
click on the wrong part I get a different buffer. All this functionality must
be daunting for the new user, so I suggest the following:

1) Mouse-1 is not used to follow links in the grep or compilation buffers.

2) If it has to be used for this purpose, then it only works where the match
   occurs (this must be easy to implement as it already has a different face)
   and the match is also underlined so that it looks like a link.

Nick