Re: Core dumps in redisplay.

From: Jan D.
Subject: Re: Core dumps in redisplay.
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 21:05:51 +0100

"Jan D." <address@hidden> writes:

But xmalloc and all related routines use BLOCK_INPUT nevertheless. So it is obvious that although malloc seemingly can be used (given _BOTH_
PTHREAD and GTK) without problems, all uses of xmalloc still are
flawed in the old way.

So we still can't allow using xmalloc except in the main thread. What is the design? Should xmalloc be usable outside of the main thread or
not?

The Gnome file backend does not know about or use xmalloc and friends,
so only the main thread calls it.

You wish.

No. I know. The only way the other threads can call xmalloc is if a signal handler is called in a non-main thread and then calls xmalloc. This should not happen, but if it does there is a bug somewhere.

I am putting appropriate assertions in right now and expect
to report otherwise soon (the trace output is rather clear-spoken
about this).  I want to have this out of the way before I make an
Emacs/AUCTeX/preview-latex representation at a major GNU/Linux
conference Saturday and a workshop at a major TeX conference next week
without having the demos crash.  That's simply uncool.

Please insert the thread id in the trace output, otherwise you can't know if it is another thread or a signal handler that calls xmalloc.

        Jan D.