Re: Hourglass only for X-windows?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Hourglass only for X-windows?
Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2005 01:05:30 +0200

> From: "Lennart Borgman" <address@hidden>
> Cc: <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 16:57:26 +0100
>
> What I was trying to say was this (that it probably are conditioned for X)
> and that it is a problem because with
>     #ifdef HAVE_X_WINDOWS
> around hourglass activation/deactivation you can only get things working on
> X.

Which is fine, as long as other platforms don't implement the required
infrastructure.

> For the w32 port there are also
>     #if 0
> around the body part of the functions that do the actual job
> (start_hourglass, hide_hourglass), since it is (as far as I understand) not
> implemented on w32 yet.

Exactly.

> I suggest removing the "#ifdef HAVE_X_WINDOWS" completely or (which I
> believe most would like better - but not I) replacing them with something
> like
>
>     #ifdef HAS_HOURGLASS

We cannot do the former without adding (possibly empty) functions
called by those snippets to all ports.  And we cannot do the latter
without adding some configury stuff that would determine the value of
HAS_HOURGLASS at configure time.

Personally, I think we are fine as we are now.  Of course, if you
implement start_hourglass et al for Windows, the HAVE_X_WINDOWS
condition needs to be augmented by something that will enable it for
Windows.