Re: Putting blink-cursor-mode in Options menu.

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: Putting blink-cursor-mode in Options menu.
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2005 11:26:59 -0600 (CST)

David Kastrup wrote:

   Because it is a visual feature that you want to see or not.

So are "Syntax Highlighting", "Active Region Highlighting" and "Paren
Match Highlighting".

   Then perhaps we should rename the menu.  It definitely does not "hide"
   things, since a scrollbar or toolbar or speedbar or similar does not
   get hidden, but removed or switched off.

After you remove them, you can not see them anymore, which people may
think of as "hidden", even though this is technically speaking not the
way things are implemented.  On the other hand, you definitely can
still see the cursor, whether it blinks or not.

Nitpickingly correct would be:

Show/ Do Not Show,

but "Hidden" is the name most other applications seem to use, even
though they too just "remove" stuff instead of "hiding" it.

   Personally, if settings render Emacs unusable (like you claim) for
   some audience, then these settings must be changeable from the command
   line with the man page saying so.

Having to study a man page before even being able to casually and
comfortably try out an application does usually not encourage people
to try out that application.

   That is the only safe way people will have a chance to arrive at a
   working Emacs without suffering a heart attack or epilepsy or
   blindness or whatever beforehand.

I said that it produced discomfort.  I did not claim that it was a
health hazard.

   This is not something that can easily be "solved", we can at best make
   a poll.  A poll among users would be most relevant, and if we don't
   have that, a poll on developers.

This is unbelievable.  We are talking about adding an option to a
menu, not about changing a default.

Sincerely,

Luc.