Re: Putting blink-cursor-mode in Options menu.

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Putting blink-cursor-mode in Options menu.
Date: Thu, 03 Mar 2005 15:57:28 -0500

    As others have pointed out, it is more common to have a blinking bar
    cursor when text is set to insert, and to use block cursor to indicate
    overwrite mode for those applications that use a blinking cursor.
    cua-mode already has code for changing the cursor based on whether we
    are inserting or overwriting (or it did last time I looked), it might be
    worth extracting the relevant code from there and turning it on by default.

I am not going to accept that idea.  Bar cursors are too hard to see,
so I don't want the default Emacs mode to use them.  (The default
Emacs editing mode is not overwriting.)