Re: ChangeLog?

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: ChangeLog?
Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2005 18:46:09 -0500

        In Emacs, the approach we use is that all changes are listed in
        ChangeLog.

    Which ChangeLog?

In the ChangeLog in the directory where you made the change; or, if
there is none in that directory, in its parent directory.

        (emacs)Types of Log File
    the Emacs manual says

        When you use version control, you can use just the per-file log if
        you wish, or you can use both kinds of logs.  ...

It is describing several approaches that projects can use.  Emacs uses
the approach to list each ontrivial change both in ChangeLog and in
the file's own CVS log.

    Shall I change the documentation as I suggested to:

Please do not change it, and please let's stop discussing this.  I will
make a small change there:

  A project maintained with version control can use just the per-file
log, or it can use both kinds of logs.  It can handle some files one
way and some files the other way.  Each project has its policy, which
you should follow.

  When the policy is to use both, you typically want to write just one
entry for each change, and put the entry into both logs.  You can
write the entry in @file{ChangeLog}, then copy it to the log buffer
when you check in the change.  Or you can write the entry in the log
buffer while checking in the change, and later use the @kbd{C-x v a}
command to copy it to @file{ChangeLog} (@pxref{Change Logs and VC}).