Re: Problems with debug-on-entry in the Lisp debugger.

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Problems with debug-on-entry in the Lisp debugger.
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2005 08:31:48 -0500

>    I can think of two points in a macro to set a break for the
>    debugger: just before macro expansion and just after it, right
>    before the evaluation of the resulting sexp.  In both cases, hiding
>    the debug-on-entry code from the user of the debugger seems not
>    possible.

To me "entry of a macro" is very clearly "just before expansion".
Especially if you think of macro-expansion occurring because of explicit
calls to macroexpand (e.g. in the byte-compiler) rather than as a direct
part of interpretation.

> Shall I go ahead and try to implement this, or do people think this is
> a bad idea?

I think it's a bad idea.  The interpreter is already way too slow, I'd
rather not make it worse.

        Stefan