Re: Do you understand this?

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: Do you understand this?
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2005 17:10:59 +0000

Robert J. Chassell wrote:

Thanks to Andreas, Jason, and Nic I think I now understand the rfc2616
HTTP specification a great deal better than before.

Perhaps we should add the following to

   emacs/man/url.texi

after the text saying:

   @node HTTP language/coding
   @subsection Language and Encoding Preferences

   HTTP allows clients to express preferences for the language and
   encoding of documents which servers may honour.

Is this now an accurate description?
Yes.

An @samp{Accept:} or @samp{Accept-Charset} statement or @samp{headers}
allows you to specify the priority or weighing of the type of
statement you would like to accept.

In the Emacs manual, we need to explain how the user configures this in Emacs. Describing what RFC2616 says is not very useful if url provides a higher level interface for configuring language preferences. If the Emacs interface is simply providing a list of HTTP request headers, then we need to say that, or the user will think that these two headers are the only two they can configure.