Re: require-hard-newlines to use newline

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: require-hard-newlines to use newline
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2005 21:52:45 -0500

    If I understand things correctly, the problem would go away, if
    require-f-n would just add the newline when writing the file but not
    to the buffer (a bit similar to a function in
    `write-region-annotate-functions') . Then the user would only come to
    see it, if she reverts the buffer; in this case it is longlines.el's
    job to use its heuristics to detect whether the final newline is hard
    or soft.

That is an interesting suggestion, but I tend to suspect it
might also cause problems.  People could try it and see.