Re: Key binding M-g should really be goto-line

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: Key binding M-g should really be goto-line
Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2005 12:27:32 +0100

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

> Juri Linkov <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> 2. goto-line is not too frequent command to deserve the sole
>> M-g key.  There are many other goto-related commands that could
>> share the same mnemonics and have the common M-g prefix key.
>
> Forget it.  No precedence,

Huh?  M-g was a prefix key before the change...

>                            no previous desire, not fitting the feature
> freeze.  Is this a plot to distract people from releasing?

IMO, it is a reasonable opportunity to DTRT before locking M-g down as
a single command-key only.

> C-x ` completely sucks as a keybinding on many international
> keyboards.  We need a new keybinding alternative at some point of
> time.  But M-g is clean out, in my opinion.  Really.

Why?  I think it is excellent.  Good mnemonic.

> My proposal for an C-x ` alternative would be C-x ? which appears to
> be free at the moment.  ? is a frequent character in all languages I
> know, and so it should be more accessible than ` on most keyboards.

That is C-x S-? on my keyboard which is still cumbersome for
something you type very frequently.

M-g-n (hold M while pressing g + n) is just so much better, and
allows you to go back as well M-g-p ...

And it is also easy to repeat M-g-n-g-n-g-p (ups, got one too far).