Re: Documentation for GUD tooltips

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Documentation for GUD tooltips
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 20:48:41 -0500

    Its a bit more subtle than that. GUD tooltips use track-mouse (ordinary
    tooltips work at a lower level and don't rely on events in lisp).  For a GUD
    tooltip to work, the lisp-level mouse-movement event must be generated in
the
    buffer with the overlay arrow and the mode of the selected buffer must
belong
    to tooltip-gud-modes.  Note that the mouse-movement need not occur in the
    selected buffer.  The list `tooltip-gud-modes' includes gud-mode so that the
    user may move the mouse over a variable in the buffer of the source while
the
    GUD buffer remains selected.

Why was it made to depend on the selected buffer?  Why implement such
bizarre behavior?  I think that counts as a bug; can we fix it?

If it is so hard to document, it will strike the user as a bug.