Re: isearch-forward and Info-search

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: isearch-forward and Info-search
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 09:28:59 +0200

"Drew Adams" <address@hidden> writes:
>     Would you like it if isearch failed before proceeding to the
>
> I would. I suggested this long ago. It should first wrap, as Richard
> suggested. After the entire Info node has been searched, it should
> fail. A subsequent invocation should continue through the manual.
>
> IOW, isearch the node completely first (wrapping), then inform the
> user that there are no more occurrences in the node, then continue
> on to other nodes.

IMO, this behavior is too confusing.  Imagine the situation where
isearch was wrapped once and after overwrapping it landed again on the
first matching point.  Now the user sees lazy-highlighted matches
below point, and when he types C-s again, isearch skips these matches
and continues on to the next node.  Even though these matches were
visited once, the user may forget this, so it would be confusing when
the user expects that C-s will go to the next lazy-highlighted match,
but it goes to the next node instead.  It's better is to go to the
next node after the first failure without wrapping.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/