Re: Hourglass only for X-windows?

From: Jan D.
Subject: Re: Hourglass only for X-windows?
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 18:25:26 +0100

This would require to have some configury stuff that would detect
whether HAVE_HOURGLASS should be defined or not.  Since Windows
doesn't run the usual configure script (and neither does the DOS
port), adding such a define will require more hacking in these ports.
Especially since writing a test for this feature is not so easy even
for those platforms which do support hourglass (e.g., think about
Emacs configured with --without-x).

So please don't do that.  Please replace

  #ifdef HAVE_X_WINDOWS

with

  #if defined(HAVE_X_WINDOWS) || defined(HAVE_NTGUI)

There is a lot of them. I understand your concern. However we do not have to do anything difficult to use HAVE_HOURGLASS. After taking a look at the code I believe HAVE_HOURGLASS should go into src\config.in. There is already an #ifdef HAVE_X_WINDOWS and I suggest putting something like this after that
define:

   /* This is for the hourglass code in various files. */
   #if defined(HAVE_X_WINDOWS) || defined(HAVE_NTGUI)
   #define HAVE_HOURGLASS
   #endif

IMO it will be more readable and if you want to add hourglass code for other
systems some day it is easier.

But the w32 port does not expand config.in to config.h AFAIK, so this does nothing when building on w32.

        Jan D.