Re: Putting auto-image-file-mode in Options menu

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Putting auto-image-file-mode in Options menu
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 03:23:02 +0200

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:
>> There is already "Automatic File De/compression" menu item
>> for auto-compression-mode in the Options menu, but no menu item
>> for auto-image-file-mode.  This looks like an unintentional omission.
>
> I think it's omitted because it's a very rarely used feature.

Indeed, auto-image-file-mode is useful only for viewing images.
OTOH, editing image files as plain text in Emacs is a rare
operation too.  And even with auto-image-file-mode set to t,
editing is possible after visiting them with find-file-literally.
With all this said, I have a question: is there any reason not
to turn auto-image-file-mode on by default?

I would like to ask the same question for auto-compression-mode too.
What is the reason not to turn it on by default?  How often people
visit compressed files for editing without uncompressing?

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/