Re: Putting auto-image-file-mode in Options menu

From: Kevin Rodgers
Subject: Re: Putting auto-image-file-mode in Options menu
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 10:10:06 -0700

Richard Stallman wrote:
    I would like to ask the same question for auto-compression-mode too.
    What is the reason not to turn it on by default?  How often people
    visit compressed files for editing without uncompressing?

I often save a buffer of compressed data into a file name FOO.gz.
If Auto Compression mode is enabled, it does a second compression.
So I have to turn off Auto Compression mode for that.

It would be nice to make Auto Compression mode DTRT in that case.
Maybe then there would be no reason ever to turn it off.
Can anyone see a way to do this?

What is buffer-file-coding-system set to in that buffer?  How
do you insert the compressed data into it?

--
Kevin Rodgers