Re: suggestions on toolbar icons

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: suggestions on toolbar icons
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 10:40:06 +0900

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 10:33:59 -0800, Drew Adams wrote:
> I said I wouldn't belabor this, but I did run on a bit. I'll not follow up -
> do whatever you like. Oommmm.

Man, you start out implying you don't want to start an argument and
yet fill your message up with this sort of crap.  You clearly don't
like Gnome -- and I certainly have my own long list of complaints
about it -- but please save the anti-Gnome rants for some other list.

David is exactly right, Emacs should try to follow _some_ standard for
icons, and if that standard is lacking, we should first try to change
the standard.  Since Gnome is more or less the "GNU GUI", and Emacs
has a GTK port, Gnome seems a reasonable choice for that standard.

Toolbar icons are a lot less useful for their intended audience (naive
users) if they vary wildly between applications, especially
applications that look superficially similar in other was.  Even your
aim is to make the icons "better" for these users, changing them only
in Emacs might have exactly the opposite effect.

-Miles
--
Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.