Possible change to startup.el

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Possible change to startup.el
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 19:44:37 +0100

After I had another run-in on a German-spoken Usenet group about how
hard it was trying to google around for finding out about using Emacs
and Emacs terminology, in particular if you were not a native speaker
and so on, and getting the usual "how should I have known something
like this exists" reactions after quoting the relevant German tutorial
section, I would like to propose something like the following:

*** /home/tmp/emacs/lisp/startup.el     2005-03-07 17:36:10.000000000 +0100
--- /usr/local/emacs-21/share/emacs/22.0.50/lisp/startup.el     2005-03-21
19:34:06.000000000 +0100
***************
*** 1298,1304 ****
  Recover Session               recover files you were editing before a crash

  Important Help menu items:
! Emacs Tutorial                Learn-by-doing tutorial for using Emacs
efficiently.
  Emacs FAQ             Frequently asked questions and answers
  Read the Emacs Manual View the Emacs manual using Info
  \(Non)Warranty                GNU Emacs comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
--- 1298,1305 ----
  Recover Session               recover files you were editing before a crash

  Important Help menu items:
! Emacs Tutorial                Learn-by-doing tutorial (in many languages)
!                       for using Emacs efficiently.
  Emacs FAQ             Frequently asked questions and answers
  Read the Emacs Manual View the Emacs manual using Info
  \(Non)Warranty                GNU Emacs comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
I actually don't think that this will have any noticeable effect on
people whose eyes glaze over at the first English or technical word
(like "Help" in the menu bar), but it would give one a bigger clue bat
with which to whack them.

The disadvantage of the patch is that it makes the screen one line
longer.  I can't see a good way around it, except maybe dropping key
phrases like "efficiently" or "learn-by-doing".