Re: Options menu

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Options menu
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 01:15:00 +0100

Luc Teirlinck <address@hidden> writes:

> David Kastrup wrote:
>
>    > which we can not afford to re-open right now.
>
>    Correct, but I don't see how it would be relevant.
>
> Several ways.  For instance, in that discussion I believe I remember
> that Kim proposed to remove the possibility of setting without
> saving altogether.  I guess this will meet with disagreement from
> some people, but if it does get adopted, it would make this entire
> discussion completely moot.  All options set through Custom or the
> Options menu would be saved, because we would have set == saved.

So what?  This would come with removing the "Save Options" from the
menus certainly as well: everything else would not make sense.

But we are not looking for a solution for offering a consistent and
suitably nonconfusing interface for Emacs-23.

We are looking for a consistent and suitabley nonconfusing interface
for the next release, Emacs-22.1, with the _current_ version of
Customize.  And the currently existing combination in CVS is
inconsistent and confusing.  There is not much we can do about the
inconsistency as Customize will not change with its semantics until
the release, but we can lessen the confusion this causes.

We need to marry the current, unchanged Customize with the menus in
the best manner for Emacs-22.1.

The future Customize is irrelevant.