Re: Menu again.

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Menu again.
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 16:32:43 +0100

Luc Teirlinck <address@hidden> writes:

> David Kastrup wrote:
>
>    With regard to moving the "Blinking Cursor" option away from the top
>    menu into the submenu "Appearance" (with this new name instead of the
>    previous "Hide/Show"): the only complaints that I heard were
>    procedural complaints about me not waiting long enough before I
>    install such a change.  When people said something about the idea
>    itself, it seemed supportive.  It's been now about 3 days, so I shall
>    go ahead and do that.  If I misunderstood something, reverting is
>    always possible.
>
> The objections have been formulated before:
>
> All the options in Hide/Show hide/show something, in the usual sense
> these words have in English.

So where is the toolbar hidden when it is off?

> blink-cursor-mode does not hide/show the cursor.  It does not belong
> in this group.

That is one of the reason that it was proposed to rename "Hide/Show"
to "Appearance".  Please don't argue straw men.

> That is why Richard asked to commit it at top level.

That is news to me.  It was placed at the top level because you said
that the level of visual discomfort the blinking cursor was giving you
made it hard to stand it as long as was needed to disable it.  In
order to address that concern, the --no-blinking-cursor command line
option was introduced.

> Hide/Sow is a much more accurate description of what the group
> contains than "Appearance".

Whatever.  We had that discussion long ago, and the general opinion,
as given by the outcome of the discussion, in my view differs from
yours.

Since I don't have either the time or the nerve to quibble further, I
will not do anything at all.  And I must say that I am disgusted.