Re: Coding systems and Terminal.app on Mac OS X

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Coding systems and Terminal.app on Mac OS X
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 09:01:18 -0500

>       in *Emulation* set
> Option+Click to position cursor in command line
> (non-ASCII -> Esc is not active/checked)

Here, the important setting is the non-ASCII -> escape thingy (which in
French is described something like "Avoid non-ASCII characters", where it
probably meant "escape non-ASCII chars".
After I turned it off, I could type in non-ASCII chars just fine, provided
I set the keyboard-coding-system to utf-8.

>       in *Monitor* set
> Lucida Sans Typewriter Regular (a font from the Java Runtime Environment)
> anti-aliasing
> Copy&Paste with moving/dragging
> UTF-8 encoding

The utf-8 encoding is the default and it's best not to change it.  And the
other three options are just real preferences which have no impact on the
correct functioning of Emacs AFAICT.
OTOH, another option that's relevant here is the "large glyph (CJK)" option
which was the cause of my \lambda taking 2 columns.  I disabled it and now
my \lambdas work perfectly.

>       in *Keyboard* /not/ set
> alt/Option/⌥ as Meta//Command/⌘

In French this is called "Option as a virtual key".

Now, where can we put this info so that users will find it?

        Stefan