Re: Tramp and VC integration: "calling user"

From: Andre Spiegel
Subject: Re: Tramp and VC integration: "calling user"
Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2005 19:43:07 +0200

On Thu, 2005-03-31 at 23:10 -0500, Richard Stallman wrote:

>     (1) New file operation file-mine-p, returns true if the file is owned
>       by the "calling user".  For non-special files, the calling user is
>       the user who invoked Emacs.  For Tramp files, the calling user is
>       the user logged into the remote host.
>
>     (2) New file operation file-calling-user, returns the calling user, as
>       defined in (1).
>
>     (3) Augment the return value of file-remote-p to indicate the calling
>       user.  The return value could be augmented to also indicate the
>       remote host, if the file is remote.
>
> #3 seems kludgy, so it shouldn't be that.  I prefer #1.

But #1 is in fact wrong.  It is irrelevant who the owner of the file is
(the same argument as I made concerning file-writable-p).  What must be
tested is whether the name of the locking user, as recorded in the RCS
master file, is that of the calling user.  I still think #2 is the best
way to achieve this.