Re: RMAIL slows

From: Robert J. Chassell
Subject: Re: RMAIL slows
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2005 19:40:25 +0000 (UTC)

    ... , by accident, ... I .. deleted the slow instance of emacs
    that I was using. ...

OK, I am back.  [Problem: over time, a batch deletion of 50 or 100
RMAIL files takes longer and longer.  This slow down only happens
after an instance of Emacs has been running for several days.  New
instances are quick.  Unfortunately, Emacs looks fine to me.]

Using GDB, the bug seems to be in

which is in emacs/src/regex.c on line 4828
That function is called by

which is called by

On stepping through `re_match_2_internal', I do not see anything
wrong.  However, the function contains 1255 lines and I do not
understand it.  There may be something obvious in there which I do not
see.  Or maybe the problem comes from somewhere else and I am being
fooled.  Anyhow, I cannot figure out the bug.

    Robert J. Chassell
    address@hidden                         GnuPG Key ID: 004B4AC8