Re: `xterm-mouse-mode' has a bogus Custom group

From: Nick Roberts
Subject: Re: `xterm-mouse-mode' has a bogus Custom group
Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2005 17:22:29 +1200

 > The following patches enable xterm-mouse-mode by default in xterm type
 > terminals, document this in the Emacs manual (I would also document it
 > in the NEWS) and fix the Custom related bug for tooltip-mode.
 >
 > I can install if desired.

You don't explain the reasoning behind loading xt-mouse in loadup.el. I
imagine it doesn't get used very often and I thought Richard said it should be
loaded/enabled in lisp/term/xterm.el. This would also address Andreas' point
about xterm-like terminal descriptions with different names:

>      (while (and term
>                  (not (load (concat term-file-prefix term) t t)))
>        ;; Strip off last hyphen and what follows, then try again
>        (setq term
>              (if (setq hyphend (string-match "[-_][^-_]+$" term))
>                  (substring term 0 hyphend)
>                nil)))

(excerpt from startup.el)

Also is it necessary to explain explicitly in the manual how to turn each mode
off?

Nick