Re: Stealth fontification GCs a lot

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Stealth fontification GCs a lot
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2005 23:40:14 -0400

> I have been trying Font Lock mode, which I never used to use before.
> I notice that when stealth fontification is occurring, Emacs spends
> about 1/3 of its time GCing.  The frequent GCs make for annoying
> latency when I type another command.

I haven't looked at the consing behavior, but I'll just mention that I find
stealth fontification annoying and have turned it off a while ago.
Many people have reported problems with it (typically they complain that
Emacs uses a lot of resources even when it's not used, which sucks when
you're running on batteries).
I haven't heard of any good reason why it should be enabled by default
(the argument that it forces us to fix it doesn't hold water since it
still hasn't been fixed after all these years).

        Stefan