desktop.el not playing nice

From: Stephan Stahl
Subject: desktop.el not playing nice
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2005 16:46:38 +0200 (CEST)

Hi.

I found that info/emacs-5 is not totaly clear about desktop.el

Currently is says:

----------
   You can save the desktop manually with the command `M-x
desktop-save'.  You can also enable automatic desktop saving when you
exit Emacs: use the Customization buffer (*note Easy Customization::)
to set `desktop-save-mode' to `t' for future sessions, or add this line
in your `~/.emacs' file:

     (desktop-save-mode 1)

   When Emacs starts, it looks for a saved desktop in the current
directory.  Thus, you can have separate saved desktops in different
directories, and the starting directory determines which one Emacs
reloads.  You can save the current desktop and reload one saved in
another directory by typing `M-x desktop-change-dir'.  Typing `M-x
desktop-revert' reverts to the desktop previously reloaded.

   Specify the option `--no-desktop' on the command line when you don't
want it to reload any saved desktop.
----------

Emacs only loads the saved desktop on startup when

(desktop-save-mode 1)

is in .emacs.  Or desktop.el is loaded somehow before after-init-hook
is run.

When that is the case and i start emacs with --no-desktop it seems
clear to me that i do not want to USE or ALTER the saved desktop.
However when i try to exit emacs i get asked where the desktop file
should be saved.  I can not exit emacs without this step unless i
disable desktop-save-mode.  This seems wrong to me because i said
--no-desktop and saving could overwrite my old desktop file.  I work
around this by starting

emacs --no-desktop --eval "(customize-set-variable 'desktop-enable nil)"

but this seems like a pitfall for emacs starters.  Maybe --no-desktop
should disable desktop-save-mode?

What do others think?
--
Stephan Stahl