Re: Removing unloaded functions from auto-mode-alist.

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Removing unloaded functions from auto-mode-alist.
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 21:50:21 +0200

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>> So auctex.el without auctex-override.el would be a waste of time.
>
> I can't see any auctex.el in auctex's CVS repository, so I'll assume
> it's autogenerated file and I guess what I called auctex-override.el
> could be called auctex.el.

It will be autogenerated, with input from auctex.el.in which is
currently tex-site.el.in, but quite different.  In short, I am talking
about a structure that will take at least a week until it is visible
in the CVS.  It is still cooking right now.

> I used a different name specifically because I have no idea what
> auctex.el is so I didn't want to confuse matters even more.

Autoloads, load-path and other directory setup.  Pretty much
everything to get it to run.

> All that matters is that it's a file that does nothing more than
> redirect tex-mode to TeX-mode and it can be unloaded cleanly.

It also defines a few other variables, and the clean unloading is what
I have been asking about here.  Making it unload painlessly is
important so that providers of precompiled packages have no qualms
autostarting it.  If you can answer to a complaint just
"(unload-feature 'auctex)", then administrators will not get worried
about the 5% of their users that have a strong preference, and for
tex-mode.el.

>> But to get something even close to working, you'll need to do the
>> equivalent of
>
>> (flet (LaTeX-mode)
>>   (require 'tex-mode))
>
> Hopefully we can convince RMS to fix this part.

I'll worry about that once AUCTeX becomes part of Emacs proper and we
will not have to cater for backward compatibility, anyway.  And there
are a few years before we are there.

In the mean time, Emacs provides enough ways for unsuspecting users to
shoot themselves in the foot, and the alias configuration of a
pristine Emacs is probably the least of our worries.