Re: Fontification of citations in mail-Mode

From: Sascha Wilde
Subject: Re: Fontification of citations in mail-Mode
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 21:53:02 +0200

On Wed, Apr 20, 2005 at 10:57:25AM -0400, Richard Stallman wrote:
>     IMHO, the reason is, if nothing else, that this is how Mail mode
>     behaved on a tty since v21.1, and users did not complain too loudly
>     (or we would have changed that).
> Maybe hardly anyone used font lock on Rmail buffers in text consoles.

I'm not using Rmail, but mail-mode from sendmail.el with font lock on
a text console on a daily basis.  And I liked the old behavior better
-- but I guess you know that by now.  ;-)

Maybe introducing special faces for fontification in mail-mode, like
Eli suggested, would be the right thing to do, so anyone could
customize them without affecting fontification in other modes.

An other possibility might be to introduce a way to customize whether
to fontify the whole cited text or only the markers...

Sascha Wilde
    "Computers are good at following instructions,
     but not at reading your mind."
    D. E. Knuth, The TeXbook, Addison-Wesley 1984, 1986, 1996, p. 9