Re: Removing unloaded functions from auto-mode-alist.

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Removing unloaded functions from auto-mode-alist.
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2005 22:32:11 +0200

Lute Kamstra <address@hidden> writes:

> David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:
>
> [...]
>
>> Well, the idea explored a bit later later was that "load" will
>> record autoloads, but not do anything with them by itself, instead
>> letting "provide" handle it.
>
> Ah, now I understand your post.  I think letting provide record
> autoloads is a bad idea.  provide can occur anywhere in a file.  So
> when provide records autoloads it won't record the autoloads that
> get replaced after that position.

No, the idea was that load initiates the recording of autoload data
alright, but will throw the recorded data away at the end of the load
unless a `provide' occured at its top level.  If the provide occured
at the top level of the load, then the end of the load will tag all
the functions with the autoload data, like do_autoload does now at the
end of its load sequence.

So the "provide" merely sets a flag, and this flag causes the
encompassing load not to throw the collected previous autoload data
away at the end of the load sequence, but use it for marking the
changed functions with the old autoloads in their properties.

Clearer now?