Re: What about a seperate "HOME" environment variable under w32?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: What about a seperate "HOME" environment variable under w32?
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 14:59:04 -0400

> If HOME is not set as an environment variable on w32, Emacs will read it
> from the registry (also used as the equivalent of .Xdefaults). Perhaps we
> could change the priority of these, so that the registry overrides the
> environment, since users are unlikely to set a specific HOME for Emacs in
> the registry and then expect to override it by changing their environment.

Until someone actually shows us some concrete scenario where the current
behavior is a problem, I don't see any need to change anything and I don't
think making blind changes like that would help much either.

I for one occasionally like to change my HOME envvar for a particular
process, typically to make sure no other ~/.foo file influences
the behavior, or as a user-level variant of chrooting.  Of course, it's
typically under GNU/Linux, so it may not be pertinent for w32.

        Stefan