bootstrap from scratch

From: Robert J. Chassell
Subject: bootstrap from scratch
Date: Wed, 4 May 2005 19:59:08 +0000 (UTC)

Today, I removed *all* my Emacs' CVS sources using `rm -rf emacs' and
checked out fresh sources.  The `59 Temple Place' zipcode is now
correct.  My earlier report was based on a damaged set of sources.
Please ignore it.

Since I had new sources, I could configure and bootstrap build with a
completely fresh CVS Emacs.

The good news is that the bootstrap mostly worked.
The bad news is that the bootstrap failed once.

One bug appeared when I used this command:

     (progn
       (cd "/usr/local/src/emacs/")
       (compile
        "./configure --with-type1 \
         --with-x-toolkit=gtk \
         --prefix=/usr/local --with-sound=yes \
         && time make bootstrap"))

During the build, compilation halted and I was asked to

             "Enter longitude (decimal fraction; + east, - west): "

which is a prompt from     emacs/lisp/calendar/solar.el

However, I could not enter that information into the *compilation*
buffer, since it is read-only.

So I prepended my location to `emacs/lisp/calendar/solar.el' using
`setq calendar-latitude' and `setq calendar-longitude' expression.
The next bootstrap build, which took two hours, then reported no
errors.

Perhaps `calendar-latitude' and `calendar-longitude' should be set to
0.0 rather than nil by defcustom.  (I have done that, but tested it
only with a `make recompile', since I do not want to do a bootstrap
again.)

--
    Robert J. Chassell
    address@hidden                         GnuPG Key ID: 004B4AC8